Thoughts, opinions, dreams, travels...

Whatever! ;-)

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Sprouting Buckwheat Groats

I started sprouting some buckwheat groats the other day so I can make some buckwheat crispies. I love them on fruit salad for breakfast. They are slightly crunchy and it stays with me until lunch time. They have sprouted for about two days now and they have tails (you can see some in the picture) so they are ready to go into the food dehydrator.

Sprouting Buckwheat:
Rinse buckwheat groats then soak in clean water for about 6 hours (or overnight). Make sure you have enough water. They swell and turns slimy while soaking. Rinse and put it in a cool dark place to start the sprouting process. Rinse several times over a two day period. You will see "tails" of about 1/4 inch. Rinse again (the slime thing...) and drain well. Dehydrate at about 105 degrees for a few hours (until dry). Experiment with your dehydrator temperature. Some may be able to dehydrate at 90 degrees and get the same results. If you live in the desert you can put them out in the sun to dry. (I have too many doves in my yard so I can't dry them outside. LOL) You can also use them (un-dried) right away in fruit salads.

My dehydrator has the fan on top and is pretty efficient. I prepare the buckwheat in large batches so I can just put it in the pantry and scoop out what I need. You can use them on top of fruit salad, veggie salads, or anything else for some extra crunch. You can also use them in living bread recipes. I added some un-dried sprouts to a "Green Bread" I made the other day with some flax meal, almond meal, spices, leftover kale and wheat grass pulp and it turned out great.

Update: I've discovered that I love these sprouts better fresh! I soak them overnight, rinse them several times then let them set on the counter for a day. I then put them in the refrigerator and rinse them once a day. They keep three days or more. I keep smelling them to make sure they don't go sour.

No comments: